Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Gelatinous cube-- oh, the horror!

It should be known that I'm a big nerd. I love Dungeons & Dragons (as well as other RPGs), and the thing that first drew me into the whole culture was the art. I remember sitting for hours, going through my friend's D&D books; even though I could barely understand English at the time and we never played the bloody thing. I didn't care about that, because I was completely mesmerized by all the evocative artwork. I've always loved fantasy art, and recently decided to take a crack at it.

Here's my latest attempt-- the terrible gelatinous cube (if you don't get it, there's no way I can explain)! This started out as a quick sketch which I wanted to turn into a full painting (all digital, of course), but it didn't quite work out. Seems I don't have the chops to pull off something like that. In the end I had to compromise, and this is the result. Perhaps I should take some painting lessons, and apply that knowledge to Photoshop. Hmmmm....





4 comments:

  1. This is awesome!! First cube I've seen that makes me scared of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good art lol, really i think captures what makes the monster what it is.
    A lot of Gelatinous cube art falls into the trap of making it an extremley vibrant shade of green or blue, and thats cool in it's own right but what makes the monster so famous is the fact that it's transparent... Clear enough someone not looking where they're going could quite literally walk right into it. This one is clear, clearly. Hahaha.

    Also the look on that guy's face really sells the piece. He knows exactly what's about to happen to him and isn't sure he can make it out in time.

    ReplyDelete