Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Avengers Arena #8

Good gravy; and update! Well, I've been insanely busy lately, and here's part of the reason why! I was recently asked to do an issue of Avengers Arena (#8, incidentally), which I gladly accepted. Seems folks were pleased with the results, since I was then asked to be on the series full-time. Needless to say, I was thrilled at the news! It certainly is great to be working on a superhero title once more, and now that the issue has been released I can finally share a few choice pages.

Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about the results on this book. Most of it is due to the fact that I can't hold a candle to the previous colorist (who I inexplicably seem to have replaced), but a lot of it is also due to a lack of... insight? It's hard to explain, but I've been doing so much experimenting with my coloring lately that I sometimes don't know what I'm doing anymore. I seem to lack vision, and a clear understanding of how to make that vision come true. I really felt like I was stumbling through my work process and happened upon a result that I didn't really understand. Anyway, enough of my crazy jibber-jabber!

This was also my first time using a flatter, so mad props go to Kyle Hilton for helping me out (he's also an accomplished illustrator-- check out his stuffs, yo! www.flannelanimal.tumblr.com). Oh, and the artwork is by the masterful Kev Walker, with whom I worked on Marvel Zombies 3 and 4. Fun time reunion!






2 comments:

  1. I love your work for Arena you are the man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really appreciate that! I have to say I was nervous over replacing Frank Martin. That's a big expectation to live up to. Luckily, I'm starting to find a groove on the later issues I did.

    ReplyDelete